· Parish religious education of children has dropped by 24%,
· Catholic school attendance has dropped by 19%,
· Infant baptism has dropped by 28%,
· Adult baptism has dropped by 31%, and
· Sacramental Catholic marriages have dropped by 41%.
This is a serious breach, a gaping hole in Christ’s battle lines. One of the key reasons that the Church is faltering under the attacks of Satan is that many Catholic men have not been willing to “step into the breach” – to fill this gap that lies open and vulnerable to further attack”.
Bishop Thomas J, Olmsted of Phoenix, wrote his Apostolic Exhortation to Catholic Men called “Into the Breach” to layout a plan for men to fill this important gap in the church. The Exhortation is a wonderfully insightful read, where the Bishop discusses….
1. What does it mean to be a Catholic man?
2. How does a Catholic man love?
3. Why is fatherhood, fully understood, so crucial for every man?
We would encourage you to read it. The bishop’s Exhortation will both inform and challenge you. For those looking for new material for their Men’s Groups, it could be a great tool.
The Bishop says regarding men forming bands of bothers, i.e. men’s groups, “At the very inception of His ministry here on earth, Jesus called other men to join Him. What was He teaching us here? We see that Jesus called His disciples to Himself in such a way that they would form deep bonds of friendship and brotherhood”.
Friends, Brothers, you can find the Bishop’s Exhortation here.